Tuesday, September 22, 2009

All thanks to the Sumerians.

So this whole blog thing- completely foreign to me. And not a good kind of foreign like Venice, but a bad kind of foreign like those 6 inch long ants in Africa. So intimidating! Ive never really considered myself to be the blogging type. The artsy, think outside of the box type of people are right for the job- not me. But here I am. All thanks to some great (and very persuasive) friends. It all started as i forced some girls to listen to yet another one of the random facts that fills up my head. If i want to be honest- I have a problem. While everyone else facebook creeps and does homework, I sit and read "Fact-O-Pedia: A Collection of 1000 Things You'll Never Need to Know!" At least ten minutes of every day are spent flipping through the alphabetically organized pages reading some of the coolest things. And then I proceed to get on Google, and do some further research about the useless facts that i previously read. Every single day i do this. Problem? Yeah. But it makes my day. So now, Liz has named me "the human google." I share most of the facts i learn, but alot of them i also save in my head for more useful times- like when i want to impress someone, or seem somewhat intelligent, or even sometimes when i have that desperate urge to stand out as the complete loser of the group...yeah. So now- back to the useless fact that led to this very blog. It all started with the ancient Sumerians. Ive never really known anything at all about them. Actually, I had never even heard of the Sumerians before i read their ridiculous fact. Turns out that the ancient Sumerians were the most awesomely creative group of people when it came to birth control. Life wasnt easy back then. They couldnt take a pill each morning and be baby-free. So, they put their heads together and came up with a brillinat idea- balls of opium. Yes, the drug. So the lady Sumerians would take the opium, roll it into nice little balls (im not sure how little- ive yet to find that on google) and insert it into themself before having that nice, romantic night with their husband. Im assuming they were married. The book didnt specify that either. So this opium would act as birth control. But thats not the end. It would also make them very high and very loopy. All of this combined makes for one fantastic night for both man and woman. (im assuming). So at PhiLamb pledge meeting the other night, my mind ventured off and it turned into "megan tell random fact" time. And that was the first fact I shared with my skeptical audience. And now, I'm blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment