Monday, September 28, 2009

Happy Hallows Eve

My sweet mom always mails me packages with some of the most unqiue, random things. She really takes care packages to a whole new level. You might get laudry quarters, food and socks- well i get holiday related toys, card games, candy that most 5 year olds dream of having (perfect for me) and in the lastest package, a pumkin. Pete now sits on my bathroom sink as a constant reminder of the upcoming holiday. So as i was brushing my teeth earlier, I realized that Halloween was in 32 days and 9 hours (approximately) and i really know nothing about the holiday except that candy is involved and that way too many Hannah Montana wigs will be sold. So, i did some research. Before I go further- its Googles 11th birthday week. So make sure to acknowledge that. Ok, so Halloween. Turns out it was originally called All Hallows Eve 2000 years ago. How that turned into Halloween I have no idea. Probably because a cute little kid dressed up as a ninja turtle didnt like saying Happy All Hallows Eve. And also b/c the Pagans named it that, and my fact book says that they werent a smart group. So it was believed that on Hallows Eve, ghosts would fly around town, so the smart Pagans would put on masks so they wouldnt be recognized by the ghosts. And that is the beginning of Halloween. I had two "favorites" on Halloween- the huge parties my parents used to have, and counting and dividing my candy at the end of the night. I would pour it all out and organize it by type of candy, and then by popularity and divide it into bowls. Yes, I was a nerdy kid. But I dont think I ever picked up on the fact that I most likely had more Snickers than any other candy. Because- That is the most popular selling candy during Halloween. And, one fourth of all candy bought in America during the year is purchased from the beginning to end of September. Few more Hallows Eve facts for ya- there are about 106 million houses that participate in trick or treating in America. And i always thought that going to 200 houses was alot..whatever. The biggest pumpkin EVER weighed 1667 pounds. So i looked into that b/c i would love to know how many seeds were in that, but of course Google cant answer that question for me.
So now as i get ready each morning and see Pete sitting there, i dont have to wonder anymore about Halloween.
By the way, thanks for the pumpkin mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment